Monday, 28 May 2012

Have a Look What is in Your Fridge...

When it comes to fitness for rugby you have to cover ALL your bases and yes that includes your nutrition. It is like trying to drive a maserati with diesel in the tank.
So here is a glimpse of what is my fridge - all the time.

For those voyeurs amongst you, I thought I would give you a peek into the staples of my fridge (and freezer).

As I have always mentioned, good nutritional choices win out in the end i.e. over fanatically counting calories.

That is not to say calories don’t matter. Of course they do. However, most of us either chronically under-eat or overeat. The middle ground, as always, is to eat healthily 90% of the time with good sound nutritional principles allowing the other 10% for the rules to fly out of the window.

If we are honest most of us eat healthy choices about 50% of the time and wonder why fat starts appearing in awkward places.

“I just can’t seem to get rid of this” as they grab their spare tyre.

Well – start by cleaning up your home. If that is not a safe haven you can be rest assured that being out and about will be an uphill struggle.

If it is in your pantry IT WILL END UP IN YOUR MOUTH. I have never seen this fail. Try
throwing out a packet of unopened biscuits. Go on, try it. It will be like prizing away a kid’s toy. There will be pangs of guilt if you attempt to delve into your bin again, even a feeling of sadness.

“But they were going to bring so much joy and happiness”

You are addicted to sugar. It is not your fault. You just are. Face it. Deal with it. Here are my Top

Ten Foods that are in my fridge and form the cornerstone of my nutrition.
Grass Fed Beef – if you want sustained energy for the day then kick it off with some grass fed beef. Rich in Omega-3 and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) both super fat burners and anti-cancer agents.

Salmon – this is one of the best sources of Omega 3, which reduce heart disease and inflammatory conditions. It is also rich in vitamins B, A an D.

Omega 3 Rich Eggs – it is like most food an egg is not just an egg, a fish is not just a fish. It all depends on where it came from, the soil it is raised in, the diet it was exposed to. Eggs are no exception. Buy organic or Omega 3 enriched eggs. These are a super fast food. Whip up omelettes or have a few hard boiled in the fridge as a quick snack.

Flax Seeds – I love my Omega 3s! Flax is a potent source of Omega 3 and works well in
balancing out your hormonal profile. It is also rich in fibre.

Greens Powder – who eats 10-12 servings of veggies a day? Hands up! Veggies maintain the natural acid-alkaline balance that exists within each and every one of our body’s cells. When this becomes unbalanced then problems occur. Stress, intensive training and proteins will tip us towards acidosis. So not only make sure that two thirds of your plate is veggies but also use green drinks as a great pick-me-up throughout the day.

Fish Oil – every man, women and child should be taking this. The benefits are far beyond the scope if this piece. Let’s just say- name any ailment that you can think of and fish oil will help.

Broccoli – men with moobs and overly emotional women listen up. Broccoli (and watercress) will help in shifting fat in embarrassing areas and balancing your emotional state. How? It is rich in phytoestrogens that balance out the bad oestrogen that is within your system. A powerhouse of nutrients and fibre too.

Blueberries – low in sugar, high in fibre rich in antioxidants these little beauties are a powerhouse of nutrition. Try them frozen with natural yoghurt and cinnamon. Lovely.

Spinach – one of the best natural sources of folic acid, a great alkaline food and superb for preventing heart disease. Popeye was right. I use it as a base for salads.

There is more. And variety is the key. But have a close look at the staples in your fridge. Try swapping one poor choice for one of the above and a positive step has been taken already.

When it comes to rugby fitness then make sure that your nutrition matches your efforts on the pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment